Journal entry on asthma
Week 5 Assignment 2
Increase text size
Decrease text size
Practicum Experience: Journal Entry
After completing this week’s Practicum Experience, reflect on a patient with a known history of asthma. Explain potential predisposing genetic and environmental factors associated with asthma. If you did not evaluate a patient with this background during the last 5 weeks, you may select a related case study from a reputable source or reflect on previous clinical experiences.
This Assignment is due by Day 7 of Week 7. You will submit this Week 5 Journal Entry along with the Week 4 and Week 6 Journal Entries, the Week 7 SOAP Note, and your Practicum Time Log on Day 7 of Week 7.
Week 5 Learning Resources
This page contains the Learning Resources for this week. Be sure to scroll down the page to see all of this week’s assigned Learning Resources.
• Buttaro, T. M., Trybulski, J., Polgar Bailey, P., & Sandberg-Cook, J. (2013). Primary care: A collaborative practice (4th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Mosby.
o Part 4, “Office Emergencies”
? Chapter 26, “Acute Bronchospasm” (pp. 189–191)
This chapter explores the epidemiology, pathophysiology, and clinical presentation of acute bronchospasm. It also describes the roles of physical examinations, diagnostics, and differential diagnoses in management of acute bronchospasm.
o Part 10, “Evaluation and Management of Pulmonary Disorders” (pp. 404–486)
This part outlines examination and treatment components of pulmonary disorders, such as acute bronchitis, asthma, chest pain, chronic cough, COPD, dyspnea, lung cancer, pleural effusions, and pneumonia. Lifespan considerations, complications, and health promotion strategies are also examined.
o Part 20, “Evaluation and Management of Infectious Disease”
? Chapter 237, “Tuberculosis” (pp. 1283–1292)
This chapter differentiates between active and latent tuberculosis and examines components that aid in diagnosing and managing tuberculosis, including pathophysiology, clinical presentation, and diagnostics.
• Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease. (2011). At-a-glance outpatient management reference for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Retrieved from
This article outlines the COPD guidelines and includes guidance for diagnosis, assessment, and management of patients with COPD.
• American Lung Association. (n.d.). Retrieved November 28, 2012, from http://www.lung.org
• Drugs.com. (n.d.). Retrieved November 28, 2012, from www.drugs.com
• Institute for Safe Medication Practices. (n.d.). Retrieved November 28, 2012, from http://www.ismp.org/
• WebMD. (2012). Medscape. Retrieved from http://www.medscape.com/
Please proceed to the Discussion.
Journal entry on asthma