The Qin Dynasty
Please answer the following question under the question itself in the same worksheet paper… short answers ….Thanks.
Read Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 and check the index in your textbook for reference.
The Qin Dynasty
1. What is Legalism’s premise on human nature? What are the two handles in legalist practice? Assess upsides and downsides of legalism (in light of Immanuel Kant: autonomy vs. heteronomy). Define these two terms briefly.
The Han Dynasty
2. The Chu-Han Contention: Liu Bang and Xiang Yu–The Banquet at Hongmen ??? (page 82-86). Briefly comment on Xiang Yu’s character based on your reading.
3. Confucianism—rule by rite and benevolence: what is its strength and weakness? Confucian five-fold relationships: ruler and subject/father and son/husband and wife/elder brother and younger brother/friend vs. friend. What are the main characteristics or patterns in this model? Name three Confucian core virtues. (Ebrey Chapter 2)
4. Role of Emperor Wu of Han and Dong Zhongshu in implementing the Han Synthesis: Confucianism became dominant, Legalism got moderated, and Daoism was integrated. Is it an end of intellectual diversity in China?
The Three Kingdom Period (Chapter 4)
5. Explain how the three conditions for success (heavenly timing, geographical advantages and harmonious relationships) are applicable to two famous battles: the battle of Guandu ????and the battle of Red Cliff ???? (film directed by John Woo.
The Southern and Northern Dynasties
6. The Northern Dynasties: Inclusive vs. exclusive practice: A program of Sinification ?? (Ebrey 64-66) . Assess the role of the Chinese language in statecraft.
7. The Southern Dynasties: Four Xiaos ??and the significance of Wen xuan studies
The Sui Dynasty (Ebrey: Chapter 5)
8. Evaluate Emperor Yang Jian’s four initiatives on statecraft: 1. A new legal code (more lenient); 2. Land tenure system; 3. Fubing system (farmer-solider concept); 4. Public granaries to keep inflation at bay.
9. The Imperial Civil Exams (605-1905) ?? and criticism (use the double-column notebook)
The Tang Dynasty
10. The Reign of Zhenguan (627-649) ????and its ripple effect. “?,??;?,???????,?????” “A monarch to his subjects is as water to a boat; water can carry a boat; it can also capsize it.”
11. The Rebellion of An Lushan & Shi Siming (755-763) (page 84) ???? and its aftermath. What lessons can be learned?