recommended text: Sylvan Barnet. A Short Guide to Writing about Art. New York: Longman, 2014.
Write a 800 word research paper analyzing a work of art discussed from a textbook called “Art: a Brief History”. (The art work that i choose is SOLDIERS from the mausoleum of Shihuangdi, Lintong, Shaanxi,Qin dynasty, c.210BCE, in page 68-69 )
• Write a clearly stated thesis in the first paragraph.
• Develop your main points in the body of the paper.
• End your paper with a concluding paragraph that summarizes your ideas.
• You will lose marks if you go more than 50 words over or under 800 words
• Word counts do not include citations or bibliography, and reference.
Do not use Wikipedia for your assignments, since it has no academic reliability.
An excellent reference for our course is Grove Art Online
Use 12 point font, with no title page or cover
Introduce the artwork: identify the artist or group, title, size, date, medium, location, etc.
Identify the work within it’s historical context, ie. style, movement
Always italicize titles of works of art. If the title is long, you must use the full title the first time you mention it, but may shorten the title for subsequent listings.
Place in quotation marks chapters from books, articles found within journals, webpages found within websites.
Essay writing is all about organizing ideas: making points and supporting them.
Think of your paper as a debate where you establish the correct answer.