We can learn a lot by examining what went wrong in chemical/industrial accidents. The assignment is to research your assigned accident from the list below and to prepare a three-fivepage report (1.5 line space, 12 point font, Times New Roman, 1 inch margins). Your report should provide the following information:
- a bit of background information on the company involved
- the location of the accident
- the facts surrounding the accident (who, what, where, when, why and how), Be very specific on the probable cause of the accident and reasons for number of injuries/fatalities, ie. Reactions involved? Safety system failure? Operator error? Engineering design flaws? Corrosion of materials?
- the effects of the accident (human and financial)
- some pictures if you can find them
- findings of whatever investigative bodies reviewed the accident
- what was learned from the accident (how can an event such as this be prevented in the future?)
- What specific changes in design, control, operation, training and/or regulation do you recommend based on your findings?
Topic isCrude Oil Lac-Mégantic derailment, July 2013; Casselton, North Dakota
The accident description
Cost + design + operation flow
What have we done to prevent it from happening?