Network infrastructure is one of the most essential parts of today’s information systems in any organization. Various types of software applications running in different servers in different locations must work together in order to meet the needs of a business. As organizations demand more and more from their computer networks, many factors such as bandwidth, network equipment, future expansion, number of subnets, security, backbone system, Internet connectivity, and so on should be taken into consideration in order to be aligned with business objectives. In other words, any network design decision must have reasoning for the alignment with business objectives.
In this project, you are asked to design a computer network for a healthcare data company, Health Services inc., who deals with electronic medical records for their clients, which include medical images, videos, clinical measurements data, lab test results, and any textual information such as messages that require highly secured network due to the HIPPA compliance. The company understands the importance of the network so they are willing to purchase any relevant interconnection devices for their network infrastructure as long as there is reasonable justification for that. It may include capacity, security, and any other network specific features.
Company’s requirements for their computer network are as in the following:
- All of their buildings within the campus must be connected with high speed backbone system.
- Each department should be isolated from other departments’ broadcast traffic (separate subnet or different VLAN).
- You need to come up with the design that isolates broadcast traffic from other departments
- The company has 6 departments distributed over three buildings – Argus, Tonga, and Admin – within the campus.
- Argus has 2 floors and each floor has only one department.
- Tonga has 2 floors and the first floor has two departments and second floor has one department. In the 2nd floor, they have a separate server room.
- Admin has 2 floors and 1st floor has one department and the 2nd floor has 4 executive suites. Each department has about 30 PCs and 20 laptops. Each executive suite has 2 PCs and 1 laptop.
- In the 2nd floor of Tonga:
- There are 3 load balanced web servers (requires one load balancer) and 2 database servers
- Main routers that feed entire campus
- For the consideration of visitors and flexibility of work environment, all buildings must have wireless network on every floor.
Now please do the following:
- You must make assumptions for the AVERAGE usage of the computer network within the organization (Health Services inc.) that may include:
- Number of sites/ pages visits per each employee and per visitor per day
- Number of emails and size per employee per day
- Streaming video/ audio traffic volume per employee and per visitor
- Number of visitors of their web site and number of pages they visit
- Size of file downloads per employee and per visitor
- Peak hours for the organization in EST – the hours where most of traffic is generated, e.g. 9am ~ 11am and 2pm ~ 4pm
- Calculate the company’s peak hour data traffic for each location in bits per second based on the assumption in 1. You must provide explanation for the calculation.
- Draw overall network diagram based on the above description. Your diagram must include layouts that include all the necessary interconnection devices that connect servers, laptops, and PCs. Each floor must specify how to connect the above and/or below floor. You must specify the type and material of the wire such as CAT6. The diagram should be drawn using some software tool such as MS Visio. You must use a label (Building name, floor, and device name) for each interconnection device, for example, Tonga.1.sw1 may represent a switch number 1 in the 1st floor of the building Tonga. You also need to prepare a table that contains all the interconnection devices with each row in the following format:
- Product label and name,
- IP address
- Number of ports,
- Major features (limit the max number of features to 3 by priority)
- Justification of the device (why did you choose that device over others?).
- Describe your network design strategy that supports your design (why you choose such design and what are the advantages of your design)
- Explain IP addressing scheme (use private addresses – 10.x.x.x – except servers and routers). You may specify IP address ranges for each department
Example: 10.21.65.10 ~ 10.21.65.40
- Security strategy
- How to make your site secure
- How to ensure secure communication
Deliverables (one word file and one presentation file):
- The word file must contain:
- the Items 1 ~ 6 from the above,
- the work decomposition description
- The presentation file that best describes the word file
- Notes: type and specification of the computer are irrelevant.