When leading a group, it is possible for the leader to unwittingly move the group toward groupthink based in the primary leadership style of the leader. To assure that there is open communication and that the group is implementing the best ideas and methods, the leader must be aware of the potential for groupthink and mitigate this possibility. In this assignment, you will analyze the nature of groupthink and its relationship to the leader, and you will suggest means for leaders to mitigate groupthink.
Use the following information to ensure successful completion of the assignment:
· Learners are required to use APA style for their writing assignments.
· This assignment requires that at least two additional scholarly research sources related to this topic, and at least one in-text citation from each source be included.
In a paper of 1,000-1,250 words, analyze the nature of groupthink and its relationship to the leader, and then suggest means for leaders to mitigate groupthink. Your paper must include the following:
1. An analysis of the nature of groupthink. What is it? How does it occur?
2. An analysis of the relationship between groupthink and the leader. Do some leadership styles lend more easily to the rise of groupthink? How does groupthink influence the decision-making of the leader?
3. Research-based suggestions for leaders to mitigate groupthink. What should the leader do to prevent or counteract groupthink?
Read chapters 11, 14, 15, and 16.
Lunenburg, F. C. (2010).
Group Decision Making:The Potential for Groupthink. International Journal of Mangement, Business, and Administration, 13(1), 1-6.
Solomon, M. (2006). Groupthink versus the wisdom of crowds: The social epistemology of deliberation and dissent. Southern Journal of Philosophy, 1(44), 28-42. doi:10.1111/j.2041-6962.2006.tb00028.x