Application 1: Correlation and Regression with SPSS
As you work through this SPSS exercise, consider the application of the correlation and regression analysis to your research topic.
To prepare for this Application:
Review the assigned pages in Chapter 16 in the course text Research Methods in the Social Sciences.
Review the video program for this week, located in the Learning Resources.
Review Lessons 31 and 33 in the course text Using SPSS for Windows and Macintosh: Analyzing and Understanding Data.
Access the gss04student_corrected dataset in the Course Information area of the classroom to use for this Application
} Craft up to a one page double-spaced write up of the statistical results (include any additional pages needed for any APA tables or graphs and the SPSS syntax and output) in which you do the following:
* State the statistical assumptions for this test.
* Using the data set you have selected, choose two continuous or metric
variables for which you would like to test a relationship.
* Develop the null hypothesis and the alternative hypothesis.
* Use SPSS to calculate a correlation coefficient and a simple linear
regression. You can decide which should be the independent (predictor)
variable and which should be the dependent (criterion) variable.
* Decide whether to reject or retain the null hypothesis.
* Generate a scatterplot to visually assess the relationship between two
* Generate syntax and output files in SPSS. You will need to copy and paste
these into your Application document.
* Based on your SPSS analysis, report the results using correct APA format.
Your report should include the following:
~ SPSS syntax and output files