Assignment 2: Research Proposal – Thesis, Major Points, and Plan
Assignment 2: Research Proposal – Thesis, Major Points, and Plan
ENG 215 RESEARCH AND WRITING
This paper will be turn in for plagiarism.
Select a topic on which your persuasive writing paper will be focused.
I have attached Assignment 1: Research Topics with Explanation to use as the reference
TOP 3 TOPICS SELECTED: EACH SOURCE NEEDS 3 REFERENCES NOT THE SAME ONES ALREADY USED. SEE BELOW AND ATTACHED DOCUMENT.
TOPIC 1 – Should regulations be changed regarding genetically altering plants and/or animals?
TOPIC 2 – Should the Family and Medical Leave Act be changed?
TOPIC 3 – Should taxes on alcohol and tobacco be increased to help pay for rising medical costs?
Write a three (3) page research proposal in which you:
1. Identify the topic you selected and explain two (2) reasons for using it.
2. Include a defensible, relevant thesis statement in the first paragraph.
3. Describe three (3) major characteristics of your audience (official position, decision-making power, current view on topic, other important characteristic).
4. Describe the paper’s scope and outline the major sections.
5. Identify and explain the questions to be answered.
6. Explain your research plan, including the methods of researching and organizing research.
7. Recognize the elements and correct use of a thesis statement.
8. Write a research proposal that states the claim and scope of the research project.
9. Outline the main sections of the research project.
10. Devise an ordered research plan to obtain appropriate resources.
11. Document at least three (3) primary sources and three (3) secondary sources.
EACH TOPIC NEEDS E REFERENCES NOT THE SAME ONES ALREADY USED
Use credible, academic sources available through Strayer University’s Resource Center. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting guidelines:
• Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
• Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
• Write clearly and concisely about selected topics using proper writing mechanics.
• Use technology and information resources to research selected issues for this course.
TOPIC 1: Should regulations be changed regarding genetically altering
plants and/or animals?
Thesis statement: Biotechnology has the potential of revolutionizing plants and animals production.
The audience: The lawmakers, executives and citizens.
Genetic modifications involves introducing new/ foreign genes to a given plant or animal to create new variety. This process involves the use of technology therefore; it is referred to as biotechnology or bioengineering, (Epstein, D. R., 1996). The varieties of plants or animals coming out of this process are normally superior compared to their parent, as they have high growth rates, reduced susceptibility or have good herbicide resistance. However, in most cases this process is trial and error therefore the characteristics of the organism produced may not be easy to determine. This poses potential health dangers, environmental risk and ethical problems. The regulations on biotechnology should be changed to control the productions of the biotechnology products and preserve the ecosystem.
Topic 1 Reference
Administration, U. F. (2015). Food from Genetically Engineered Plants. U.S. Food and Drug Administration , 1.
Epstein, D. R. (1996). Why You Should Be Concerned About Genetically Engineered Food. 1.
USDA. (2016). Biotechnology Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). United State Department of Agriculture , 1.
TOPIC 2: Should the Family and Medical Leave Act be changed?
The thesis statement for this topic: The well-being of the workers makes a company a success.
The audience: The employers, workers and the lawmakers.
The Family and Medical Leave Act was passed to protect the workers from losing their job due to family emergencies such new born, sickness of the family members or the workers themselves for a period of 12 weeks, ( Glynn, S. J., 2013). This enable the affected workers to care of their families although during this time workers are never paid as they are out of job. Looking at the provisions of this act, it seems to protect rights of the workers; however, the act itself is not enough. For example, when the worker is sick, or when a family member is sick or there is a new born in a family the expense normally increases but at the same time there is no income to family for about four months. In case the breadwinner of the family is the one affected then whole family suffers financially. Therefore, there should be modification to allow the workers to get some compensation in terms of finances to help their family during these times hence, the Family and Medical Leave should be changed.
Topic 2 Reference
Glynn, S. J. (2013). The Family and Medical Leave Act at 20: Still Necessary, Still Not Enough. The Antlantic , 1.
Hoch, M. (2013). 20 Years After FMLA, What’s Changed and What Hasn’t? Harvard Business Review , 1.
TOPIC 3: Should taxes on alcohol and tobacco be increased to aid in paying for rising medical costs?
The thesis statement: Through study, it has been found that raising taxes on alcohol and tobacco will raise the revenue as well as reducing the consumption of these harmful substances.
The audience: The lawmakers and executives of the country.
Alcohol and tobacco are goods that people consume at their pleasure. They are not basic goods that people cannot do without unless in extreme cases of addiction. Even then through rehabilitation, they can survive without alcohol and tobacco. In some quarters, alcohol and tobacco are seen as necessary sin and their consumption leads health effects that may require expensive medication for example, the case of lung cancer, liver cirrhosis, bronchitis, tuberculosis, etc. Therefore, because you can afford alcohol and tobacco then you should be ready to pay the extra cost needed for the treatment when coming down with illness related to their usage. However, on the other hand people sometimes use these substances to relieve anxiety, pressure and stress. As proponents argue when you have the extra money to pay for alcohol, then an increment should not be a problem thus, the taxes on alcohol is supposed improved to aid in paying for the ever rising medical cost, (eurocare., 2010). That is why I choose this topic.
Topic 3 Reference
Brunet, C. M. (2009). Reversing the Erosion in Alcohol Taxes Could Help Pay for Health Care Reform. Center on Budget and Policy Prioties , 1.
Debate.org. (2016). Should taxes on alcohol and tobacco be increased to aid in pay for rising medical costs? Debate.org , 1.
eurocare. (2010). WHO recommends increasing taxes on tobacco and alcohol . eurocare , 1.