‘The flexibility of the Free on Board (FOB) contract makes it a far more attractive international sales contract option for exporters than the CIF. It is surprising that any exporter of goods would want to contract under CIF terms.’
Critically analyse this statement in relation to c.i.f. contracts.
Mark: Upper First!!!!
An accurate and comprehensive statement of the law with a critical analysis and application to the problem. Critical comment on the principles together with a critical understanding of the relevance of legal principles. Clear evidence of a wide literature search with attempts at original and valuable comment in either a legal or business context.
An answer that demonstrates accurate understanding of the relevant law appropriate to the question. An answer that demonstrates the ability to analyse legal concepts and to explain/argue them in relation to the question.
Make use of UK laws, statutes and cases (UK)!!!!!
ADDITIONAL References that need to be incorporated:
1. Puja Soni, ‘The Rights and Duties of the Transacting Parties under FOB International Sales Contract’ available via
2. Elis Tarelli, ‘C.I.F. or F.O.B.: That is the question!” Main features of the two contracts for the international sale of goods’ available via
file:///Users/apple/Downloads/SSRN-id1467820%20(2).pdf or http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1467820
3. Bassindale, J. ‘The Passing of ownership and risk in International commodity contracts’ (1993) 4 (2) ICCLR 51
4. Bennett, H.N. ‘F.O.B. contracts: Substitution of vessels’ (1990) 4 LMCLQ 466 5. Gower, L.C.B. ‘F.O.B. Contracts’ (1956) 19 (1) MLR 417
6. Feltham, J. D. ‘C. I. F. and F. O.B. Contracts and the Vienna Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods’ (1991) JBL 413
7. Merrett, L. ‘Place of delivery in international sales contracts’ (2008) 67 (2) CLJ 244
8. Sassoon, D. M. ‘The Origin of f.o.b. and c.i.f. Terms and the Factors Influencing their Choice’ (1967) JBL 31
9. Sasssoon, D. M. ‘Application of FOB and CIF sales in common law countries’ (1981) ETL 50
10. Treitel, G. H. ‘Time of shipment in F.O.B. contracts’ (1991)2 LMCLQ 147
11. Williamson, J. ‘FOB Contracts: An Examination of their Principles and Practical Application in Internal Trade’ (1984-1987) 5 (4) Auckland U. L. Rev. 476
12. Treitel, ‘Damages for breach of CIF Contract’, (1988) LMCLQ 457 6.
13. Treitel, ‘Rights of Rejection under CIF sales’, (1984) LMCLQ 565
14. Crawford, ‘Analysis and Operation of a CIF contract’, (1955) Tulane LR 396
15. Takahashi, ‘Right to terminate (avoid) international sales of commodities’, (2003) JBL 102