Throughout this course, you have considered the value of a sociological lens. As you identify the social determinants of health that impact health disparities and health behaviors, the SEM can help define areas where interventions can contribute to optimal health outcomes.
Consider for example a violence prevention program.
• What types of interventions (across the SEM) would be most beneficial to alleviate violence prevention?
• What level across the SEM can address violence in adults?
• In what ways will violence prevention strategies differ across the levels of the SEM?
In your current or future role as a health professional, the opportunity to refine your skills in performing socio-ecological assessments will help ensure that you are implementing appropriate interventions for your target population.
For this Final Project, select a population and public health issue of interest. Consider the health issue with regard to this population and how social determinants of health contribute to the health behaviors observed within this population.
Health Issue: Breast Cancer, Population African America
• Describe the population and public health issue that you selected.
• Define the indicators of the issue (i.e., incidence, mortality, morbidity, and hospitalizations) and explain how these influence the population and public health issue you selected.
• Identify at least two social determinants of health that impact the public health issue you selected.
• Explain how the social determinants of health impact the health-related risk behaviors for your population.
• Describe the significance of socio-ecological theory and its application to this issue.