Ethic of care
Social Contract and the Ethics of Care
In this lesson, you will do the following:
1. Identify the main principles of Social Contract Theory.
2. Describe the key arguments, both for and against Social Contract Theory, and discuss
what you see as its strengths and weaknesses.
3. Explain the principles of Feminist Ethics and its critique of traditional moral philosophy.
4. Describe the principles of the Ethics of Care.
5. Discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the Ethics of Care.
6. Apply the two ethical theories to a contemporary ethical issue identified on the Course
Discussion Board and contribute your response to the Unit Discussion.
• Elements of Moral Philosphy:
o Chapter 6: The Social Contract Theory
o Chapter 11: Feminism and the Ethics of Care
• The Right Thing to Do:
o Chapter 10: Caring Relations and Principles of Justice
ACTIVITIES / ASSESSMENTS
In brief essays of at least three to four paragraphs each, answer the following questions:
1. Explain the central principles of Social Contract Theory. Describe the main arguments
both for and against it. What do you see as its strengths and weaknesses?
2. Explain the feminist critique of traditional ethical theories.