SURVEY OF WORLD ARCHITECTURE AND URBANISM
REQUIRMENTS FOR ESSAY ASSIGNMENT
1. MINIMUM 6-8 TYPED PAGES in length double spaced. This assumes size 12 font and 1 inch margins with approximately 300 words per page, therefore a MINIMUM of 1800 words of text, EXCLUDING footnotes, bibliography, captions, title page, etc.
2. PROPER FOOTNOTES OR ENDNOTES. Following the Chicago/Turabian footnote format. Parenthetical citations are not acceptable for an Art or Architectural History paper.
(see the writing center in Jen Library for information if you are not sure of this format)
3. ILLUSTRATIONS OR DIAGRAMS should be included and placed at the back of the text. Be sure to refer to the figures within the text (ex. fig. 1, fig 2. etc) and include CAPTIONS and SOURCE INFORMATION along with the image. Avoid embedding the images within the text, since the images do not form part of the overall length of the essay.
4. BIBLIOGRAPHY at the end of the paper, which includes all sources used in the essay. Be sure to use proper format for referencing web material is used (see writing center at Jen Library for information if you are not sure about the proper format).
5. SOURCES NEED TO BE BOTH ADEQUATE AND SUBSTANTIVE. Although there is no absolute number required, you need address enough different sources to construct a thorough and adequate statement about the subject chosen. This will require going beyond readily available sources on the web, and include books and articles found within the library.
6. BE SURE TO PROOFREAD FOR GRAMATICAL AND SPELLING ERRORS
7. PAPERS NEED TO BE ANALYTICAL, NOT SIMPLY DESCRIPTIVE. To write an acceptable paper for this course it needs to go beyond merely describing the form or relating the history of the monument or artwork. Your essay needs to relate the topic to some larger issue or meaning. Therefore it is important that you develop a THESIS statement or central idea as part of your introduction, which is then carried throughout the BODY of the essay, and finally restated in the form of a strong CONCLUSION at the end. If you are having trouble with this issue, please come discuss your topic with me and I will help you develop a thesis statement.
The assignment requires that you focus on an INDIVIDUAL WORK OF ART OR ARCHITECTURE that is related to the topics of the course, but are NOT specifically addressed in the lectures.
Therefore it is necessary that you discuss the topic with me before hand. Likewise it is very important that you begin your research as soon as possible, so that if you select a topic which may turn out to be difficult to research, you will have time to change before the due date.
Plagiarized work, when discovered, will result in a failing grade for the entire course and will be forwarded onto the dean of academic affairs for disciplinary actions.
Be sure to document all your sources carefully and properly, and DO NOT TO COPY ANY WORK FROM THE INTERNET OR OTHER PRINTED SOURCES.