The paper will focus on the impact that positive psychology has on abuse / domestic violence survivors using Seligman’s learned helplessness and Horney coping strategy of “compliance” in regards to, women regaining power, and learning that they are in control of their lives and future situations.
HELPFUL RESOURCES: SEE UPLOADED MATERIALS (PLEASE READ ALL GUIDELINES AND INSTRUCTIONS BELOW AND ATTACHED)
tHIS ASSIGNMENT IS WORTH HALF OF MY FINAL GRADE !!! iF YOU ARE UNABLE TO DOWNLOAD ANY OF THE UPLOADED MATERIALS PLEASE LET ME KNOW SO THAT I CAN ASSIST.
THE MESSAGE BELOW IS FROM THE INSTRUCTOR:
I want to provide you with additional guidance in completing the final paper. I am also reattaching an exemplar paper that was completed by a student in a prior term of this course. Exemplar final project PSY 560.docx The sample paper is well organized.
You do not need to use the exact sections in the sample paper, but a logical organization of the paper is important. The use of headings will help organize the paper. Be sure that you review the rubric for the paper which is found within the assignment directions found under the Course Information tab on the left navigation panel. That rubric is used exactly and so be sure that you are covering every area in the rubric.
1. The paper should have an abstract. An abstract is a concise summary of an entire paper, not an introductory paragraph. The abstract is written as a single paragraph, is in the range of 150-250 words, and is typically the last thing written. It is intended to be a “stand alone” document, something that could be read by itself and provide the gist of what is in the paper.
2. In the paper itself, begin with an introductory statement that will orient the reader to the paper.
3. Provide a thorough description and analysis of the theory you have selected. This should include the following, at a minimum:
Describe the historical/theoretical context in which the theory developed. You might consider if this theory was a reaction against other prominent theories of the time. How does the theories development fit with the larger historical context? You would also include any relevant biographical influences of the theorist as it relates to the theory development.
Delineate the main principles of the theory. This section should be very specific and detailed. Each of the theories is complex in its own way and it will take more than a few paragraphs to adequately describe it. What are the key constructs of the theory? Define any terms that you use. What does the theory say?
What are the research methods used by the theory? How has evidence been developed to support the theory? This will include work of the original theorist, but may well include later research as well. How well is the theory supported?
What are the theoretical and research challenges to the theory? What are the weaknesses of the theory? How does the theory respond to these challenges?
What is the contemporary research that supports the continued relevance of the theory? This is particularly important if you are using a theory that is older.
Be sure to include a section that addresses the applicability of the theory to diverse populations.
4. Introduce the application issue in detail. You may have touched on this in the introduction, but provide the detailed information here. This should include the scope of the problem and why the issue is important. Why should the reader care about this issue? Why is this an issue that needs to be addressed? If you have selected a specific condition/disorder, for example, you could include information on the incidence and prevalence of the condition. You might include social, economic, and psychological costs associated with the issue. If your application is a specific disorder, you can include some brief information on current treatments, but I must stress that your paper is not about current treatments, it is about how the theory you have selected can be applied to the issue you have selected.
5. Propose an application/intervention for the issue you have selected that is logically derived from the theory you are exploring. Explain the proposed application of the theory? Why does it make sense logically? If you are proposing an intervention, what would the intervention look like? Provide suggestions for proposed research that might be conducted that could help support your proposal.
6. End with a concluding statement.
Keep in mind that this paper is to be written as if you are writing to submit the paper to a professional journal. Make sure the tone is professional, academic, and contains the level of detail and complexity that is needed for someone already in the profession. Also, articles submitted for publication are not rehashes of previous material. It is expected that you have something new to say. So, if you are planning an intervention, aim for something that breaks new ground.
A very important consideration is selection of appropriate sources. Primary sources should be used whenever possible. Primary sources are works written by the theorist and original research articles in journals. In no case should you use sources such as psychology.about.com (now verywell.com), simplypsychology, Boundless, or any other source that is not scholarly and peer reviewed. As a graduate student, it is expected that you will read primary source material and perform your own analysis. If you have any questions as to whether a source is acceptable, ask me first.
Write your paper in APA format. I am attaching two sample APA papers. One of them is an example of a theoretical paper and the other an example of a research study. The format may be tedious, but you are in a graduate course in psychology and it is expected that you use this format. You can find addtional information on the APA Style web page (http://www.apastyle.org/). If you have any questions about the format that you cannot figure out, ask me.
APA sample paper.pdf
APA sample paper 2.pdf
There is no minimum length set, but there is a maximum of 10,000 words (about 32 pages). It is difficult to imagine being able to cover everything required with the detail needed in fewer than 20-22 pages.
If you need additional clarification, let me know.