Choose 1 of the following 2 options to write about. Your assignment should be thoughtful and at least 2 paragraphs. This assignment is optional extra credit and is worth 5 points.
• After reading Chapter 7 and watching the Self-Disclosure/Feedback video, answer the following questions about topics that were taboo in your family.
• What was talked about? What wasn’t?
• Why is that?
• What topics do you see as generally taboo to talk about in the United States? Why?
• After reading Chapter 8, interview at least three close friends and family members to find out their opinion of your own conflict style.
• What do they think are your conflict “triggers?”
• How do their opinions compare with your own understanding of what you think sets you off?
• Look at the And You?on p. 224 of the text, which asks what kinds of conflict provoke you. Are there times when you provoke conflicts on purpose? Why?
o O’Hair, D. &Wiemann, M. (2012). Real communication (2nd ed.). Boston: Bedford/St. Martin’s. (ISBN: 978-0-312-64420-8)