SELF VALUES AND BELIEFS PAPER:
As a human (and social worker) in a diverse society it is important to be aware of our own values, biases, and prejudices. It is also important to recognize and acknowledge how our own beliefs may influence our interactions with clients and others. Our belief systems have been shaped in large part by primary caregivers, peers and the social, religious, educational, and political institutions we are and have been connected to. Through participation in these institutions and our life experiences, we were taught what we now hold as “truth” or “fact”. These socializing influences have also contributed to how we think, feel, and react to those who may think, feel, or act differently.
The purpose of this paper is to help identify your own values and beliefs and to demonstrate critical thinking about how those values and beliefs may impact your ability to function effectively in a diverse social environment.
The paper should be 8pages in length, typed, double-spaced, Times New Roman font (12point).
Describe the development of your beliefs and attitudes toward difference (e.g., race, ethnicity, gender, class, religion, sexual orientation, abilities) and discuss the factors (e.g., people, experiences) and/or institutions that have most influenced your viewpoints toward people different from you in each category:
– Ethnic or racial heritage
– Gender and sexual orientation
– Socioeconomic group (income, education)
– Religious beliefs or affiliation
– People with disabilities
After describing the development of these views please:
– Describe whether these beliefs/attitudes have stayed the same or changed over your life course.
– Identify and discuss biases you now have regarding groups different from yourself (those distinguished from your ethnic or racial heritage, gender, sexual orientation, abilities, income, religious beliefs or affiliation
– Describe how those biases influence the ways you interact with members of those groups.