- A function is a special relationship between values, each of its input values gives back exactly one output value.
Situations where two variables in everyday life that can be served as a function are:
1. Voltage depends on resistance and current
2. Test marks depend on certain attitude, when listening to a certain lecture or doing tutorials.
Other relations between two variables in everyday life cannot be described as a function is:
1.My own telephone number, because although I’m one person, I have several telephone numbers. These different telephone numbers could be cell, work, home, etc
2. Another relation that cannot be a function is money vs. time.
QUESTION 1 (200 WORDS)
- For people filing a single return, federal income tax is a function of adjusted gross income, because for each value of adjusted gross income, there is a specific tax to be paid. By contrast, the price of a house is not a function of the lot size on which the house sits because houses on same-sized lots can sell for many different prices.
- What other situations between two variables in everyday life can be described as a function?
- What other relations between two variables in everyday life cannot be described as a function?