Writing Prompt 1- Campaign Finance Reform:
Campaign finance reform, and the influence of money in politics more generally, is a contentious, unresolved issue. Make an argument for either more or less government regulation of campaign financing. Be sure to include the following:
- A summary of recent developments in campaign finance law in the United States, including acts of Congress and Supreme Court cases.
- A clear explanation as to why there should be more/less regulation of campaign finance. Be specific.
- An example of when a lack of regulation/too much regulation of campaign finance harmed American democracy.
- Predictions for the future—what barriers do you expect will inhibit the changes you suggest from occurring?
You must have a very clear thesis statement.
- You must provide support for your thesis that is based on evidence (Legal, Empirical, Moral, Political)
- You must use a minimum of two outside sources. You must use APSA/ APA or MLA formatting in your citations.
You will be required to use in-text citations as well as providing a works cited at the end of your essay.
*Any thought that is not your own, must be cited.
- Your essay must be written in the format of a research paper which outlines a proposed policy.
- You must use complete sentences and present coherent thoughts in your argument.
- You must include a works cited
- The essay must be 2 to 3 pages in length
- Font size should be 12 point font
- Font style should be Times New Roman
- The essay must be double spaced
Points will be taken off for:
- Sloppy presentation, unorganized writing, and incoherent thoughts.
- Failure to answer all components of the writing prompt you choose to write about, and failing to follow style guidelines.
- Writing in first person (My opinion, I think, I believe, etc).
- Having grammatical errors, misspellings, incomplete sentences, and other errors.
- Failure to use in-text citations and use proper APSA/ APA or MLA formatting.