Assignment: LASA: Understanding 401(k) and IRAs
For this assignment, you will prepare a PowerPoint presentation evaluating and explaining the 401(k) and Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs) at a local community center, where you have been invited to speak. The audience will be a group of people who already work for companies that provide a 401(k) plan, so they are familiar with the basic concepts. The goal of the presentation is to explain to the audience the differences between the 401(k) and IRAs. Include the following:
? Explain which account would earn more money for the investor: a traditional IRA or a Roth IRA. Support your statements with reasons and examples.
? Describe how people can identify their federal tax brackets.
? Use the following hypothetical questions/situations to explain the retirement plans in further detail.
1. If you were to invest $3,500 in traditional IRA and a Roth IRA, after making adjustments for possible tax deductions, what would your net contribution be for both the traditional and Roth IRA? Explain any differences your research shows.
2. Once the traditional IRA or Roth IRA is established, you decide to invest the proceeds in a mutual fund. Identify the type of mutual fund you would select. Examples include stocks, bonds, or a balanced mutual fund. Using the Internet, research and select a specific mutual fund that meets your desired risk tolerance. You can use examples of mutual fund companies such as Oppenheimer and Franklin Templeton. Be sure to justify your selection.
3. Based on the average annual return on the mutual fund selected, you invest $3,500 for thirty years without withdrawing any of the proceeds. How large would the balance be at the end of thirty years? Include your calculations in your presentation.
4. To avoid the process of probate, and ensure that the balance in this fund transfers upon death to a person of your choice, explain how this account should be set up to ensure a prompt and direct transfer.
5. As an employee of an organization, you may have access to invest in a 401(k) plan. Explain what a 401(k) plan is as well as its benefits. When one has the option to utilize a 401(k) from an employer, explain what restrictions are in place to limit 401(k) contribution?
Support your statements with examples and scholarly references. Remember to include detailed speakers’ notes to include additional remarks that could be used as a script when presenting to a live audience. Develop an 8-10-slide presentation in PowerPoint format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.