Detecting media Bias
Use your favorite Internet search engine to find a recent headline news story in one of the following areas: local or national politics, economics, or business news.
· Was the reporting of the news story clear and accurate, with sufficient depth and breadth?
· Were some facts reported while others were ignored?
· Did the story consider alternative perspectives and worldviews?
· Were there any questionable assumptions implicit in the story?
· Were any implications ignored while others were emphasized?
· Why is it important to make distinctions when undertaking a critical evaluation?
· How would you evaluate this story if it were on the news versus reading it online? What about on the radio?