You have to choose one question from the two parts, 1 page for each question
Part One: Answer One of the Following:
1. Discuss: A. The basic functions of congress: making law, checking the administration, educating the public, representation, conflict management, judicial selection, and leadership selection. B. The dual nature of congress.
2. Discuss: A. Congressional recruitment: who recruits and the basic factors that influence recruiter’s selection of potential candidates. B. Congressional nominations: the primary process and the decentralization of nomination. C. Congressional elections: crucial factors and determination of election outcomes.
3. Members of congress live and work in two distinct worlds: Capitol Hill and back home in their states or House of Representatives districts. Describe and discuss the various roles and various aspects of congresspersons “Hill Style” and “Home Style”.
4. Discuss the followings aspects of Leadership and Political Parties in Congress: A. The political nature of leadership in congress and leadership of congressional political parties. B. Leadership in the House. C. Leadership in the Senate. D. Who gets to be selected for congressional party leadership?
5. Discuss the following aspects Congressional Committees, Rules and Procedures: A. Importance and functions of committees. B. Types of committees. C. Choosing committee members. D. How a bill becomes a law. E. Reasons for having a professional congressional staffing system.
Part Two: Answer One of the Following:
1. Discuss the following factors that influence legislators voting decisions and positions on a legislative issue: Local, political/institutional, colleagues in the legislature, ideology, psychological, sociological.
2. Discuss the following aspects of the relationship between congress and interest groups: A. Definition of interest groups in congress and the functions of interest groups in congress. B. Types of interest groups most active in congress. C. interest group lobbying tactics in congress. D. Why interest groups are so powerful in congress and the sources of interest group strength in congress.
3. Discuss: A. Domestic congressional public policy making. B. The new role of congress in national security public policy making.
4. Discuss: A .Congress and the president: Why the president has acquired leadership in Congress and how can Congress respond. B. Congress and the Bureaucracy: The role of Congress in the bureaucracy. C. Congress and the courts: The role of Congress in the judicial system.
5. Discuss: A. Perspectives of congress from a more positive and less critical view. B. The major challenges facing the congress.
( Do not Use Sources)