Write a 3-4 pg. paper on one of the following topics.
1. Discuss how Medea vacillates throughout the play between being highly rational and
being extremely irrational. How does Medea gradually become alienated from her
humanity and become identified with blind, irrational fury? Be very specific in discussing
particular examples to support your points.
2. Discuss the way Euripides explores conflicts between the sexes in Medea. How does
Euripides create a dichotomy between Jason and Medea–in terms of their attitudes,
values, and points of view? Do you think Euripides portrays one of the sexes more
sympathetically than the other, and if so why?
3. Compare and contrast the characters of Clytemnestra in Aeschylus’ Agamemnon and
Medea in Euripides’ Medea. Do you think these two characters support or subvert
conventional gender stereotypes? Be very specific in your use of examples.
4. Other than providing a convenient exit for Medea, what is the effect of Euripides’ use
of the deus ex machina (literally “god of the machine”) at the end of the play? What is
the significance of the machine elevating Medea above the stage, and thus to a level
normally reserved for gods? Be specific in discussing particular examples to support
5. What are the essential differences between Euripides’ tragic play Euridipes and the
comedic interpretation of the story in the movie She Devil? Does Roseanne’s
performance make the Medea character any more or less sympathetic? Use specific
examples from both the play and the movie to support your argument