Starting out as a student at the Frances Harrington Institution of Interior Decoration, Robert C. Marks took control of the school in 1959. A man of vision, Mr. Marks expanded the programs and course offerings. Seeing a need for school research, Mr. Marks started what came to be the largest and most replete Interior Design library in the country. Further, he saw to having the school accredited by the American Society of Interior Designers (ASID) and changed the name to The Harrington Institute of Interior Design.
As time passed Mr. Marks developed educational seminars in conjunction with on site tours to architectural destinations for research. They went to cities all over the world visiting famous places that have changed Interior Design. These seminar events along with their enhanced curricula helped established Harrington Institute as the premier school for Interior Design in Chicago and as one of the leading Interior Design schools in the Country.
Mr. Marks saw a need for educational credentials for interior designers so he expanded the school to a
For years Harrington was located in the Fine Arts Building at 410 S. Michigan Avenue in downtown Chicago. This excellent location enabled Harrington students to take advantage of all the educational and cultural venues that Chicago has to offer.
Along with Mr. Marks, six other individuals were given awards.
For the Excellence in Design Award the following individuals were honored: Lucien Lagrange, Eva Maddox, Stanley Tigerman, and Victor Skrebneski.
For the Design Vision Award the following individuals were honored: Mayor Richard M. Daley and Commissioner Cherilyn Heremb.
Mr. Marks is a patron of the Arts. He is a supporter of Lyric Opera of Chicago, The Chicago Symphony Orchestra, The Art Institute of Chicago, and the Metropolitan Opera of New York. Mr. Marks sits on the Boards of leading Chicago cultural institutions and is a moving force in them.
Images of the event can be seen at: