The invasion of Normandy by allied forces was undoubtedly one of the most complex military operations ever conceived. Operation “Overlord” succeeded, despite numerous obstacles that, when combined, nearly resulted in the failure of the landings. After completing this week’s reading assignments, addresses the following:
o What role did American forces play in the invasion?
o What were four of the primary American units involved, and what were their objectives?
o List five problems that allied forces had to overcome during the operation. Which of these problems posed the greatest threat to the success of Overlord? Why?
o With the benefit of hindsight, how could the planning of Overlord have been altered to make the operation more successful?
Your initial post should be at least 300 words in length. Support your claims with examples from the required material(s) and/or other scholarly sources, and properly cite any references.
In contrast to Overlord, the allied landings at Anzio (Operation “Shingle”) are largely considered an ineffective use of resources. After completing this week’s reading assignments, address the following:
o What was the objective of Operation “Shingle”?
o Was this objective achieved? Why or why not?
o How did the initial landings of Shingle compare to those of Overlord?
o Did Shingle shorten the war in Italy? Why or why not?
o Overall, would you consider Shingle a tactical and strategic success or failure? Why?
Your initial post should be at least 300 words in length. Support your claims with examples from the required material(s) and/or other scholarly sources, and properly cite any references. In addition to the text, you must utilize at least one scholarly source from the Ashford Online Library in your post.
1. To successfully complete this week’s assignments, read the following sections of Chapter 25 – Victory in Europe: Brute Force in the Air and on the Ground from the text, Warfare in the Western World: Military Operations Since 1871, Vol. II:
o The Campaign in the West, 1944
o The Collapse of Germany: The Air Contribution, pp. 797-798
2. To successfully complete this week’s assignments, read the following chapter from the online book, American Military History, Vol. II: The United States Army in a Global Era,1 917-2003:
o Chapter 5 – WWII: The War Against Germany and Italy (http://www.history.army.mil/books/AMH-V2/AMH%20V2/chapter5.htm)
3. To successfully complete this week’s discussion, “Operation ‘Overlord’,” read the following literature:
o Hammond, W. M. (1994). Normandy: 6 June-24 July 1944. In Normandy: The U.S. Army Campaigns of World War II. Retrieved fromhttp://www.history.army.mil/brochures/normandy/nor-pam.htm
4. To successfully complete this week’s discussion, “Anzio Beachhead,” read the following literature:
o Laurie, C. (n.d.). Anzio 1944. Retrieved from http://www.history.army.mil/brochures/anzio/72-19.htm
Operation “Market Garden”
Operation “Market Garden” was an allied effort to bring the war in Europe to a quick conclusion. Unfortunately, this operation was doomed to failure from the beginning. In your paper, address the following:
- What was the ultimate objective of Market Garden?
- How were American troops utilized during this operation?
- What were the primary reasons this operation failed? (Describe at least three.)
- What role did political considerations regarding American and British leadership play in the launching of this operation?
- Did Market Garden have a realistic chance of success, or was it ill-conceived from the beginning? Why?
The paper must be at least three pages in length (excluding the title and reference pages) and formatted according to APA style.