Rite of Spring
9. What did Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring describe to an unsuspecting audience?
10. From a scientific perspective, why might the riots at the premiere of Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring have happened?
11. What happens to neurons in the “noise department” when they hear unfamiliar sounds or chords?
12. “We are
13. If neurons fail to find a pattern, our brain releases , which, in small amounts, creates a pleasant effect, but in larger amounts makes people “mad.”
14. How did Parisians receive Stravinsky’s second performance?
15. What is the cortical fugal network? How does it learn to understand new music?
16. Why might society be comfortable with Rite of Spring now?
17. If this theory is true, what are the ramifications for innovative musicians in society?
18. What is EMI (Experimental Musical Intelligence)?
19. What do you think about EMI and the music it creates?