Law Reaction to Affirmative Action
- Read the U.S. Supreme Court case Fisher v. The University of Texas at Austin et al. Preview the document, as well as The New York Times article Supreme Court Upholds Affirmative Action Program at the University of Texas.
- Write a paper of 1,750- to 2,000-words on the case for this assignment which addresses the following:
- Where might this case be heard (Federal or State Court)? On what legal basis could the case be brought?
- Do you think that the U.S. legal system is the best forum for resolving this dispute? Why or why not?
- Would Federal or State Court be the appropriate forum for plaintiff’s claim? On what legal grounds was this case brought?
- Must the case be brought in the court you referenced (Federal or State Court)? Why?
- What is the basis for subject matter jurisdiction?
- What must the parties demonstrate to establish personal jurisdiction?
- Do you think that the U.S. legal system is the best forum for resolving a dispute regarding university admissions policies? Why or why not?
What alternatives to the U.S. Legal System could you suggest for resolving this dispute?